Most people have grown up in a society where being a homosexual is not okay. Although LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) people are being more accepted, they are still thought as ‘wrong’ to a lot of people and places. A big argument is that being gay is “unnatural” however, it is found that homosexuality is practiced in over 1,500 animal species such as giraffes, lions, and several species of apes and monkeys. We believe the hate against homosexuality should decrease, and the homosexual rights should increase.
Homosexuality dates back to times when even before the bible was being written. Some examples of homosexuality references in the bible are in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13, and Romans 1:26-27. The bible, however, does not state anything about 2 women being together. The reason for this is because at the time, men usually married more than one woman (this is still happening, as it is a cultural normal for some cultures). In many cultures it is unacceptable to be gay.
We believe that Violence and hate against homosexuality need to diminish severely. Gay bashing, gay bullying, and hate crime is very popular when it comes to hating on homosexual people. LGBT people of all ages die every year, whether caused by suicide, injury or homicide. From 1999-2010, the Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System, part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention program says that suicide is the 3rd leading cause (4,600 deaths) of death among young people ages 15 to 24. In 2011 there were 1,572 victims that received hate crimes based on sexual orientation. In an article on PBS, written by a woman named Karen Franklin, a description of an interview with a man called Brian states that him and his ...
... middle of paper ...
...ut Homosexuality?" About.com Christian Teens. About.com, n.d. Web. 26 May 2014.
"How Has Religion Changed over Time from the Middle Ages to Today?" Yahoo! Answers. Yahoo!, n.d. Web. 26 May 2014.
"Hate Crime Statistics, 2011." FBI. FBI, 02 Nov. 2012. Web. 24 May 2014.
"FBI Releases 2011 Hate Crime Statistics." FBI. FBI, 10 Dec. 2012. Web. 26 May 2014.
"Annual Report Shows Slight Decrease." FBI. FBI, 25 Nov. 2013. Web. 26 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Homosexuality has always been a concept that separates people. The most well known place with a “gay divide” is in religion. According to conservative Christians, being gay is wrong in the eyes of God. However, those who are more progressive Christians claim that nowhere in the Bible does God directly say that it is not okay to be gay. Also, homosexuality is not just an issue between progressives and conservatives; there is a strong rift between generations of Christians as well as far as dealing with homosexuality goes.... [tags: conservative christians, bible, god]
1316 words (3.8 pages)
- Gay is Okay. Should gays be treated with the same respect as all other people. Conservative Christians and gay people are going at it again. They never seem to tire of this war. Only few Christians have the guts to admit that they believe that all gays should be treated with the same respect as any other people. It seems that only a person with a number of gay and lesbian friends and acquaintances can realize the importance of getting to know the people behind the labels and images society makes; and their experience of building connections with people of many different backgrounds and personal differences has been both challenging and tremendously rewarding.... [tags: essays research papers]
1524 words (4.4 pages)
- Marriage has been a part of society from the earliest of time. The joining of one man and one woman has been celebrated by many. We are taught to be the “perfect” husband or wife or at least the skills it takes in order to be considered a “perfect” husband or wife. We’re taught to love each other through sick and poor and all the battles we will face together. Over time, marriage has changed. Marriage, once a strong bond between man and wife, is now simply a flimsy piece of paper that has no strength to keep them together.... [tags: Homosexualism, Marriage, LGBTQ, Gay]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- A loving couple just moves into the house of their dreams, one is a music teacher at the local charter school; the other is fulfilling their dream by becoming a beautician at the Paul Mitchell Beauty School in the next town over. The neighbors stop and stare as the couple gets settled into their new home. They do not know what to think of it, this couple is much different in their eyes, something they are not use to seeing in their community until today. The difference with this couple is that they are gay.... [tags: gay, couple, community, marriage]
1482 words (4.2 pages)
- Most societies view homosexuality as something that is horribly wrong. People view sexual relations between like genders as disgusting. For thousands of years homosexuality has existed on this Earth, but the question is, what makes it so wrong. During my research I have yet to find a legitimate reason as to why homosexuality is so wrong. With homosexual relationships, comes the question about homosexual marriage. Should gay marriage become legal in all fifty United States, or should it stay illegal in some states and remain legal in others.... [tags: Gay Rights, argumentative, persuasive]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- ... The purpose of this was to show that calling someone gay is used to organize people into certain categories making them feel a part of a selective gay community. Even if the word gay is used in a negative way of slandering stereotypes, Mccormack uses it as a word to describe the general difference between a gay person and a straight person. The intended audience is that he is trying to reach out to be the gay community because they get offended if there is a negative connotation of the word gay.... [tags: Homosexuality, Gay, LGBT, Sexual orientation]
1337 words (3.8 pages)
- People are always saying how being gay is not okay, and that God says in the bible that it should be man and woman not man and man. But It also says in the bible that no one should judge one another, whether it be on looks, height, race, and or gender. So I feel like all these people that are judging all the people who are making the decision to be gay is wrong. If they truly went off of what the bible said, They’d know that all sins are equal. So them judging them about being gay is a sin, well they’re sinning just like the gays are.... [tags: religious beliefs and opinions]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- ... That adds up to 55 percent or 76,300,000 have no legal protection against being fired because of there gender identity or sexual orientation. Back in 1985 gay rights were very strict they could not serve openly in the military, have sex without having the risk of being arrested, be protected under hate crime legislation, get married, be protected as a transgendered child, visit the same sex spouse in the hospital, come out as a celebrity and not have backlash, and identify as a transgender without being classified as having a mental disorder.... [tags: social, norm, bias, complicated]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- Marriage is the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of two people to live as a married couple. Marriage should not be based on what others think. When people get married in a heterosexual union, they do it for their own happiness, not for the happiness of others. Gay marriage is the same way. Homosexuality has always been around and will continue to exist. Why should homosexuals be denied the rights of heterosexuals. No one has the right to say that homosexuals can not marry.... [tags: Homosexuality, argumentative, persuasive ]
1658 words (4.7 pages)
- Gay Rights Movement Have you ever thought how much progress the LGBT community has made and how it affects other people. The gay rights movement was and is currently a movement that “strives to end all discrimination towards the LGBT community” (Redlingshafer). As early as 1924, the Society for Human Rights in Chicago becomes United States’ earliest known gay rights organization (“Milestones in the American Gay Rights Movement”). However, most people recognize the Stonewall riot in 1969 as being the beginning of the gay rights movement.... [tags: LGBT, discrimination, Hope Speech, Harvey Milk]
1256 words (3.6 pages)
- Efforts to Help Children at Risk in Australia
- Complementary Effects of Bevacizumab and MMC
- Biopolymers As a Contemporary Packaging Materials
- Lean Software Development and Enhancing Software Development Projects
- A.A. Milne’s The House At Pooh Corner
- Overview of the Process of Law Reform in the English Legal System