The journal article Resilience in Older Gay Men and Lesbians by Susan Hrostowski , discusses the notion that older gay men and lesbian women show high resilience even though throughout their lives they are in a position where they tend to be victimized more often. Being gay or lesbian puts these people at a higher risk for depression and suicide. Being that all these negative factors are being put into play against these folks, it is important to see just how they gain the positive trait of reliance. Diversity and its correlation with adaptation is how Hrostowski describes reliance and further elaborates to state that it is a development of certain strengths and abilities that would not have been nurtured had it not been for the op...
... middle of paper ...
...nd often unthought question of, what are the positive aspects of being gay or lesbian?
Hrostowski, S. (2006). Resilience in Older Gay Men and Lesbians. n.p.: ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing.
Kurdek, L. (2005). What do we know about gay and lesbian couples?. Current Directions in Psychological Science,14(5), 251-254..
Lippa, R. (2007). The relation between sex drive and sexual attraction to men and women: A cross-national study of heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual men and women. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 36(2), 209-222.
Patterson, C. (2000). Family relationships of lesbians and gay men.Journal of Marriage and Family, 62(4), 1052-1069.
Peplau, L. , Frederick, D. , Yee, C. , Maisel, N. , Lever, J. , et al. (2009). Body image satisfaction in heterosexual, gay, and lesbian adults. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 38(5), 713-725.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- United States is known to be one of the free countries in the world, and other nations look at it with awe and aspiration. America is a nation with multi – cultural backgrounds, and people with different identities and personalities. However, if two men or women walking on the street gradually start kissing each other or showing affection with the same sex, others would look at them with disgust. Even being an extremely modern country, homosexuality is looked down upon with much intolerance. Is there something wrong with what those people just did.... [tags: freedom, culture, intolerance, homosexuality]
2514 words (7.2 pages)
- ... He said that he was and remains especially close to his cousin Bernard. Joe recently got married to his partner of over 20 years, Ron. Joe and Ron had a commitment ceremony 18 years ago but were very excited that their union would be recognized by the State of Wisconsin. Joe’s hope is one day that his union would be recognized by the church. Ron was previously married to a woman and they had two children, both of which have abandoned their father since he came out. Joe stated that Ron has been the most positive influence in his life.... [tags: Sociology, Retirement, Social capital, Old age]
1462 words (4.2 pages)
- Same Sex Marriages Should be Legal Flowers, candles, and music are all part of a wedding. As the organist plays "Here Comes the Bride," I notice this is where the similarities end. The bride, who is a woman, is marrying a groom, who is also a woman. Single-sex marriages are only allowed in a few states. However, single-sex marriages should become legal so that couples could enjoy the advantages of marriage. Legalizing single-sex marriage would create more family units and create more tolerance from society, allowing single-sex couples a legal way of expressing their love to each other.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics Gay Lesbian]
835 words (2.4 pages)
- I.Introduction A.Attention getter: “There are more than 8 million adults in the US who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual.” (Gates, 2011). B.Background Information: Some people believe that humans are born homosexual. Another group of people believe they have the choice of becoming homosexual and it can be reverted. C.Thesis statement: Although the proponents believe that people are born gay and the opponents believe that it is a choice and can be reversed, the two sides do have some similarities.... [tags: Sexual orientation, Homosexuality, Gay, LGBT]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- Sexuality over the years has been defined and reshaped in many ways by different researchers and experts. In the CNN article, “Being Gay is not a Choice,” James Hormel defines sexuality as something that you are born with and cannot hide or ignore your true identity. In the article, Hormel recalls the times in his life where he felt alone and when he hid the truth. Hormel goes on to state how he “spent the first 35 years of my life trying real hard not to be gay”(Hormel, pg. 1). However, despite Hormel 's views I disagree with this article in many ways as it shows little evidence on how someone could in fact be born gay.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, LGBT, Gay]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- Sexuality has been defined and reshaped over the years in many ways by different researchers and experts. James Hormel, the first openly gay U.S. ambassador has a strong opinion on how sexuality or sexual preference is formed. In his CNN article, “Being Gay is not a Choice,” Hormel defines sexuality as something that you are born with and cannot hide or ignore your true identity. In the article, he recalls the times in his life where he felt alone and when he hid the truth. Hormel goes on to state how he “spent the first 35 years of my life trying real hard not to be gay”(Hormel 2011 p.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, LGBT, Gay]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- Most people have grown up in a society where being a homosexual is not okay. Although LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) people are being more accepted, they are still thought as ‘wrong’ to a lot of people and places. A big argument is that being gay is “unnatural” however, it is found that homosexuality is practiced in over 1,500 animal species such as giraffes, lions, and several species of apes and monkeys. We believe the hate against homosexuality should decrease, and the homosexual rights should increase.... [tags: Homosexuals, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual. Trans]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- Homosexuality has existed since the beginning of time, there wasn’t an actual name for it, but surely, sexual acts between two individuals of the same sex still occurred. Homosexuality, homoeroticism, bisexuality, polygamism and even just questioning these ideas were often looked down upon. I say this because in a biblical sense, it was believed that only a man and a woman should come together. Most Christians and Jews believe that in the beginning of creation, God created Adam and Eve to multiply the earth.... [tags: homosexuality, same sex, sin]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- The mind and the body are not only connected, but are a single entity that rely on each other (Dreher, 2003). Both the mind and the body must be in peak condition in order to optimize learning outcomes. The scientific community must destigmatize the mind-body connection with further research and begin separating facts from pop culture fiction. Since knowledge is the lifeblood of the academic community, it seems pertinent to find how to optimize students' circumstances to encourage the best opportunity for learning potential.... [tags: Optimizing Learning Outcomes, Mind, Body]
1111 words (3.2 pages)
- Children of gay and lesbian parents have the same potential as other children despite living in a nontraditional household, a growing trend in America. Same-sex parented families face many struggles such as discrimination based on sexual orientation of the parents. Individuals who do not support same-sex marriage or same-sex parenting believe that the child will not be raised in a stable household. Multiple studies have confirmed that a parent’s sexual orientation does not heavily influence a child’s performance in school or their social behavior.... [tags: Same-Sex Marriage Essays, nontraditional family]
1317 words (3.8 pages)