Anabolic Steroid Abuse
Anabolic steroids are synthetically produced variants of the naturally occurring male hormone testosterone. Both males and females have testosterone produced in their bodies. Males are in the testes, and females are in the ovaries and other tissues. The full name for this class of drugs is androgenic anabolic steroids. Some of the most abused steroids include Deca-Durabolin, Durabolin, Equipoise, and Winstrol. Deca-Durabolin is a highly used steroid that has very few androgenic properties which means it provides outstanding gains with undesirable side effects when used responsibly. Equipoise is a derivative of testosterone, which exhibits strong anabolic and moderately androgenic properties. Lastly, Winstrol is a synthetic anabolic steroid derived from dihydrotestosterone. The common street names for anabolic steroids include arnolds, gym candy, pumpers, roids, stackers, weight trainers, balls and bulls, and juice.
The two major effects of testosterone are an androgenic effect and an anabolic effect. “Androgenic” refers to the physical changes experienced by a male during puberty, in the course of development to manhood. Androgenic effects would be similarly experienced in a female. This is responsible for the majority of the side effects of steroid use. The term anabolic refers to promoting of anabolism, the actual building of tissues, mainly muscle, accomplished by the promotion of protein synthesis.
Abuse of anabolic steroids differs from the abuse of other substances because the initial abuse of anabolic steroids is not driven by the immediate euphoria that accompanies most drugs of abuse, such as cocaine, heroin, and marijuana, but by the desire of abusers to change their appearance and p...
... middle of paper ...
... are forming the liver. Both the tumors and the cyst are found to be able to burst, causing internal bleeding. Using steroids can also cause one to get acne all over their skin, cysts, and oily skin and hair.
Infections from anabolic steroid abuse is highly in effect. Many abusers who inject anabolic steroids may use non sterile injection ways or share contaminated needles with other people who also use steroids. Some steroid preparations are manufactured illegally under non sterile conditions. These factors put abusers at risk for receiving viral infections that are life threatening, such as HIV, and hepatitis B and C. Steroid abusers can also develop endocarditis, which is a bacterial infection that causes a potentially fatal inflammation of the inner lining of the heart. Bacterial infections can cause pain and abscess formation where there are injection sites.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There are many types of steroids abused by athletes in order to increase their muscle mass and strength. Though steroids have a negative reputation, there are some that can be beneficial to athletes and certain patients. There are types of steroids called corticosteroids that have more medical uses to them and another type called anabolic-androgenic steroids that have a more limited medical use. The anabolic-androgenic are usually the steroids that are being abused by athletes (Bigelow, par.10).... [tags: Athletes and Anabolic Steroids]
2477 words (7.1 pages)
- The Safety of Using Anabolic Steroids Even if you didn't have any or little knowledge of steroids and were asked this question, you would probably answer no. Why. Would it be because a high school kid somewhere in California died from taking them. Or would it be because you read it in Readers Digest. Many people think you are selling your soul to the devil when you take steroids. There is an incredible amount of myths, misinformation, and misconceptions about anabolic steroid use and their dangers.... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Essays]
1530 words (4.4 pages)
- The intent of this essay is to show that steroids have many negative effects and that steroids, and other natural supplements, should be closely studied by the FDA. This essay will also support the claim that the professional sports industry needs to eliminate steroid use and set a good example for younger athletes. Over one million American seek short cuts to larger muscles and greater endurance with anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. Steroids are drugs that act like chemical in the body. Most steroids are transformed into testosterone when they enter the body. Testosterone is a male growth hormone. While user may gain short-term results, they are seriously s... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Use by Athletes]
2110 words (6 pages)
- Ever since their introduction into sports in the later 1950's the use of anabolic steroids has been a controversial issue. Much debate has arisen dealing with whether steroids should be allowed for performance enhancement. If you're not familiar with them, The 1994 Merrian-Webster Dictionary defines an anabolic steroid as, "any of a group of synthetic hormones sometimes taken by athletes in training to increase temporarily the size of their muscles." However, it's not just the athletes preparing for rigorous competition that have been using these drugs. Business Weekly told of a study performed by the University of Illinois School of Public Health in which the results wer... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Use by Athletes]
772 words (2.2 pages)
- "Anything of worth or value in life must be worked for." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson In the world of sports today, anabolic/androgenic steroid use is a vast problem. Since its’ introduction into Russian weightlifting, it has been expanding with no signs of stopping. It has spread into every major sport, with usage by every age and race. The use continues to grow, even with a lengthy list of serious health, legal, and ethical concerns. Because of our society's adoration of muscle, athletes put their athletic goals higher on their priority list than their long-term health.... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Use In Sports]
2342 words (6.7 pages)
- Anabolic Steroid Abuse Anabolic steroids are synthetically produced variants of the naturally occurring male hormone testosterone. Both males and females have testosterone produced in their bodies. Males are in the testes, and females are in the ovaries and other tissues. The full name for this class of drugs is androgenic anabolic steroids. Some of the most abused steroids include Deca-Durabolin, Durabolin, Equipoise, and Winstrol. Deca-Durabolin is a highly used steroid that has very few androgenic properties which means it provides outstanding gains with undesirable side effects when used responsibly.... [tags: Anabolic steroid, Testosterone, Puberty]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- ... Sports should be played strictly on sheer talent alone. That’s the way is has always been. If you are one that has the dream of being a professional athlete then you should be in the gym day in and day out, practicing nonstop trying to improve your game. Taking shortcuts is not the way to better yourself. The use of PED’s is wrong because of two reasons. The first being that it is immoral and unfair. Athletes in this day and age make enough money from their multi-million dollar contracts to afford the best trainers, as well at practice facilities that money can buy.... [tags: Anabolic steroid, Testosterone, Growth hormone]
1018 words (2.9 pages)
- ... In the 70’s and 80’s other sports wanted in on the competitive edge that these steroid were thought to have and later the black market flourished for the illegal production of this harmful and even deadly drug. The assumptions of these users were that they heard it would make them more aggressive and also give them that extra power they need to win. Anabolic steroids enable athletes in certain sports to build up muscle tissue during training quicker than in training without drugs. Records have shown that the use of anabolic steroids and rigorous physical training along with a high protein diet will enhance muscle growth.... [tags: Anabolic steroid, Testosterone, Bodybuilding]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- ... The steroid core structure is composed of seventeen carbon atoms, bonded in four "fused" rings: three six-member cyclohexane rings (rings A, B and C in the first illustration) and one five-member cyclopentane ring (the D ring). Steroids vary by the functional groups attached to this four-ring core and by the oxidation state of the rings. Sterols are forms of steroids with a hydroxyl group at position three and a skeleton derived from cholestane. They can also vary more markedly by changes to the ring structure (for example, ring scissions which produce secosteroids such as vitamin D3).” (2) Meaning that a sterod is …….... [tags: Anabolic steroid, Testosterone, Steroid]
1614 words (4.6 pages)
- Anabolic steroids are a very serious subject, and are believed to be extremely harmful to the human body. The truth is however, that anabolic steroids are not as harmful as you are lead to believe. With fewer deaths per year than alcohol and tobacco, and side effects that include increased strength, stamina, and overall physical performance, you can start to question why anabolic steroids are extremely illegal. There are however physical side effects that can be considered extremely dangerous, such as a raised heart rate.... [tags: Anabolic steroid, Testosterone, Androgen, Steroid]
1131 words (3.2 pages)